Riyad Mahrez is crowned BBC African Footballer of The Year

Algerian soccer star, Riyad Mahrez has been crowned BBC Footballer Of The Year. The player who played a huge role in Leicester City’ s fairytale title winning campaign last season beat off competition from Pierre
Emerick Aubameyang,
Andre Ayew, Sadio Mane and Yaya Toure to scoop the award. Winger Mahrez, 25, told BBC Sport: “It means a lot, it ’ s something big for African players so I am very happy, I am very proud. “It ’ s always good to receive awards and for African players it ’ s a huge honour. To all the
fans, thank you very much .”
He added: “Also I want to thank the Algeria fans and dedicate this to them as well and for my family .
“I just have to carry on and keep going with my football and see what I can do. ” The award caps an exceptional year for Mahrez , who had already won the English Premier League Title and was voted Professional Footballers ’ Association Player of the Year, the first African player to win the award . He also finished 7 th on the Balon d’ or
list and is the only African on FIFA’ s 23 -man list for Player Of The Year.
Mahrez now joins a list of greats, including Abedi Pele , George Weah , Jay-Jay Okocha and Didier Drogba, to have won the BBC African Footballer of the year award.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biafra memories: PHOTOS and VIDEO of Ojukwu bunker