48th Asoju Oba Molade-Okoya Thomas Cup: Odusanya retains title as Akanbi wins men’s singles

From the start of the 48th Asoju Oba Molade-
Okoya Thomas Cup, Bose Odusanya never
bragged about her prowess.
Bose Odusanya, retains her women's singles title




While most of her
fellow competitors mouthed off their intention,
it was Odusanya that laughed last at the
weekend after the grand-finale of the oldest
sporting tournament in Nigeria.
Just like her rival – Tolu Durosimi-Etti who
won the championship back-to-back in 2012
and 2013, Odusanya also claimed the title
twice in a row after beating Fatimo Bello 4-2
in the women’s singles final, while junior
sensation, Rilwan Akanbi won his first major
championship in the men’s singles.
Unlike Odusanya who never had any problem
defeating her opponent in the final but Akanbi
was stretched to the limit by Azeez Solanke in
the men’s singles final.
Akanbi and Solanke are part of Team Nigeria
heading out to South Africa for the ITTF World
Junior Championship, which serves off on
Wednesday November 30 in Cape Town and
they both stunned their senior counterparts to
set up a final encounter.
The match bore all the signs of a final and the
fans and dignitaries had something to cheer
throughout the encounter but it was Akanbi
who emerged champion after a 4-3 win over
southpaw Solanke.
Akanbi said: “I’m very happy to win this
tournament because for me, playing against
Azeez Solanke was really a challenge. We are
both junior players and just been promoted to
play at the senior level. Before the match, I
know it will be a 50-50 game because we
have played some matches at the junior
category and he is a very good player too.
The level of competition is very good, every
year we play this tournament and there is
always improvement.”
Odusanya said: “I’m very grateful for winning
this title back-to-back because before the
competition, I trained a lot and I want to
thank God for crowning my effort. My final
opponent, Fatimo Bello played very well and
the game was very tight because we are in the
same club. I was very determined but it was
God that gave me this victory. I want to thank
the family of late Sir Molade Okoya-Thomas
Thomas for hosting this tournament and I
hope they will relent but continue to sponsor
it.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biafra memories: PHOTOS and VIDEO of Ojukwu bunker